Sunday, November 23, 2008

Tenderness and Happiness at the Headwaters


For many of us racing season is over. Hugh, Mike Rosenfeld, our friends Jake and Dave all started racing last March with the Banana Belt. Mike Olson as usual contributed his support to the series as well. I mention it because that’s what’s next for me when it comes to competitive cycling.
Looking ahead to next year’s road racing season Hugh has made a commitment to join a team being organized by Jeff Tedder. I recently joined a team too at the invitation of Martha Walsh of Seattle, WA, who does a lot of racing in Oregon. Martha has made the most gentle and strong impression as an ultra marathon racer and cycling advocate in WA.
I keep asking myself why I joined a team. Is it really going to make a difference in how or when I ride or race? Well I hope so. Will I get as excited about hooking up with my ZteaM mates at races as I have with my Olson’s Hammer mates? I’m willing to give it a try and I am willing to work at bringing my best to a yet another new season of racing.
As with this year’s cyclocross season, participating in the Banana Belt series will be something I’ve wanted to do for a number of years and I have not been able to do until now. Having Sunday’s, even the whole weekend, to recreate even competitively is something I have not been able to do since 1991. Which brings me back to my last post.

I did not make it to a worship service after all today. After grocery shopping time was to short to get to church, so I targeted on an outdoor activity that would include the children and dogs. We went up to the Tualatin Falls and the headwaters of the Tualatin River. It was an afternoon well spent bringing out tenderness and happiness both in Stephen and Alia. In response to Alia’s numerous exclamations of “I love you Stephen,” as they climbed house size rocks along the river and leaped their way over the top of the falls, Stephen warmly replied in kind. So it wasn’t the races or a gathering of Christian community, but it was about connecting to life, the earth and to love.

1 comment:

UltraMick said...

I'm glad you chose to be on "my" team, and I hope we can gather other inspiring women to support each other through all the challenges of a racing season (and life!).