Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Wet Without a Rain Coat at Lewis and Clark Ultra 12 HR TT

I am considering a moratorium on racing in the rain. I will not do it again

without a rain coat! While racing through the 1st 7+ hours of rain and misery I thought about taking up running, because I thought it might be more pleasant in the rain, than racing/riding my bike. I was

ready to quit the race for a burger and some fries around 2:00 primarily because I was so wet, cold and miserable. In time I realized I needed to get some more calories into my body. Most of my suffering was

due to the fact that I did not have adequate or appropriate attire, though I'm not sure that was even possible. I would have liked to change jackets,

shorts, socks and even shoes few more times. The thought of my HV teammates getting into a car every 1/2 hour- hour or so seemed very appealing! I valued seeing my teammate and race official, Andrew, pacing the

course in his car. It is comforting to know that someone out there knows what you are doing.

Let's see I learned a few important things this time around:

First- even though I get as wet wearing a rain jacket as not, it has a more important function, providing warmth! I was missing that!!!!!!

Second- comprehend the route sheet, trust the route sheet and

make my body obey the route sheet! I went off course from the get go throwing in and extra 800-1000 feet of climbing in the first 7.5. I got back on course at the 6.5 miles mark

with 9.5 miles riden and a 1 mile lift from a guy who opted not to race because of the rain and spotted me on his way home. Thank God, because I was too stubborn to turn around and thought I would get

back on course. I did but with nothing but unnecessary climbing and about 30 minutes lost. From there I was riding in last. I felt better when I caught up to two people at the 1st time

station.

Most of the beauty of the course was lost on me this year. I rode 173.5 miles in 12 hours, short of my goal (181+). Who doesn't want to do at least as many

miles as they did int he past? My pit stops were more like 15 -20 minutes pointlessly trying to figure out how I could improve my soggy condition. I would have been fine with 1-2 minutes stops to exchange

water and fuel bottles and to pee, but instead wasted time swapping booties and contemplating other futile clothing changes. That I rode through the 12 hours was an

accomplishment. It was a challenge for everyone else too. In the end I finished 2nd in my cat, behind Sarah Tisdale who did 190 miles. She was 2nd overall and I was 4th over all, male/female.

Hugh rode 346 miles winning LaCultra 24 for the 3rd time and setting a new course record. He stayed focussed all night with no troubles and a pleasant attitude!

Hugh was very impressed when another of our teammates, Cristina, racing on the 2 person team Hammer Velo #2 with Brad Foster, came striding up on him during the short lap looking strong and making it look effortless. He is looking forward to witnessing more of her racing!

As for the second 12 hours, we endured it without rain and very mild temperatures. There were 4 solo 24 hour racers, 3 men, 1 woman and a team of two (males) and a 4 person team (males) all on course through the night. There were friends, including Mick and Martha Walsh staying for support through the night along with some other folks including Sandy Earl who is going to Race Across America this June (solo).

Comments heard on the course: Those people in the red Excursion are REALLY NICE!

It was pretty darn cool to have 7 HV teammates participate in the event, (11 counting kids and Shari)!

Physically I felt good during the race and did not develop any saddle sores this time. My neck and shoulders got pretty tight in the last few hours, but did not compromise my riding. I was riding strong in the last two hours and could have kept it up longer. I think I could have paced up the climbs with more drive since I had plenty of strength when it was over. I did not end up noticeably sore at all on Sunday or Monday which is pretty cool, but also may mean that I could have pushed harder.

I was pleased with how I rode and my final miles considering my mistakes and the conditions.

I was glad when I finally saw Bill Nicolai at the end of the day. Out of 15 he took 3rd! His race was over, but I still had a few minutes to go. Dressed in his Hammer Nutrition kit, I mistook him for Hugh coming up from behind but was just as happy to Bill as Hugh. Damn, I am proud of them both!

Leslie Holton, the lone sole 24 HR female racer’s kindness and joyful persistence was contagious, Before the race, and on both the long and short loops Leslie was an inspiration, not stopping until her 24 hours were up!

Sure the weather was poor, but the field was great, course was excellently marked and the volunteers were spot on!

No comments: