Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hugh's Davis 24HR TT 2010 report

Well - It was a hell of a trip. We battled through rain, wind, closed mtn. passes, hunting down tire chains just to get to the race - but we made it. The race could not have gone better for me. I was not on a mission to break any records or even worried about finish order - just out to see how my neck and back would hold up under the demands of a 24 hr race. My neck and back held up very well! I did have some pain but nothing regular doses of ibuprophen could not handle. I managed to ride very consistently for a long time. about 1 a.m. my neck was hurting so I took an hour nap and when I returned to the bike the pain was gone. Had some left knee pain that had been brewing most of the night that convinced me to call it a race about 2 hours early. I rode 328 miles in about 21 hours. Big confidence builder for me and - oh yeah - managed to take third place overall. Now I can look forward with confidence to defending my championships at the Lewis and Clark Ultra and The Ring of Fire knowing that my neck is not going to be the limiting factor. Hugh.

No comments: