Thursday, January 8, 2009

Change in Team Affiliation

I have decided to ride with a newly formed team, Hammer Velo, for the upcoming spring/summer cycling season. Jeff Tedder organized the team and is the coach. During the cross season he approached Hugh about being a part of a new team of serious and competitive cyclists. Boy, Hugh has come a long was as he told Jeff he was interested. Now that is a big step, Hugh has gone from riding, alone, to riding with his Jake Rosenfeld, Dave Burnard, Mike Olson and Forest Grove friends to joining a team that requires participation in team rides.
I too wanted to have some riding companions to develop my riding skills and strength. I joined ZteaM at the invitation of my friend, Martha Walsh, and was looking forward to other Portland area women getting on board. That has been slow in coming and so I decided to jump ship and ride with Hammer Velo. I've met a couple of the women on the team and look forward to meeting the rest soon. Just the same it is a strange thing to join a team without any of the women members being my acquaintances or friends. It is pretty cool to again be on a team with my husband. We’re planning on alternating Sat. and Sun. rides between us. Kolben Prebel, one of 3 junior’s, tries not to miss any of them.
There are ~30 men, ~8 women, and 3 junior boys on the team. Team members are expected to participate in at least one of the weekend rides. Saturday’s ride is 2-3 hours of hard fast riding. I haven't made it to one of those yet. The Sunday ride is for endurance and is a bit slower. This Sunday I think will be a century ride. Jeff leads an interval (spin) class on Wednesday nights for the team too. We do ours at home.
We'll be getting our new kits soon. Specialized, River City Bike and of course, Hammer Nutrition are the our team sponsors.

No comments: